GAMEDAY APPETIZER: Smoked Salmon Gameday Wheels
“Smoked salmon is a great Super Bowl appetizer. Easy to make a few hours before kick-off and ready for halftime. They are as gameday easy as gameday easy gets!”
By Gridiron Chef “Doc”
Serving Size: 16-20 pieces
- 12 to 16 slices of smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheeese
- 1.5 tablespoons grain/Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 crispy baguette / 20 snacking crackers of your choice
- 1 small pkg. of fresh dill
- On a clean surface, spread out one single 18 x 12-inch (46x 30cm) piece of plastic wrap. In the center of the plastic, overlap 8 to 12 individual slices of smoked salmon to form a rectangle approx. 12 x 8 inches (30 x 20 cm).
- Mix any leftover salmon + cream cheese + green onions into a food processor. Puree (a few pulses will do) until smooth, and spread an even layer of the mixture over the smoked salmon slices. (If no equipment, mash well and vigorously.) Leave approx. 1″ (2.5 cm) of the rectangle uncovered.
- Starting at the long covered edge, roll the smoked salmon into a tight log (Yes, I said log) Pick up the plastic wrap and use it to encourage the salmon to roll tightly. The uncovered edge of the salmon at the end will help form a tight seal. Pinch the plastic wrap on both end and then roll the log until it tightens and forms a cylinder.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up. When the roll is firm enough to cut, slice it into even rounds – approx. 1/2″.
- Place each round on a slice of baguette/cracker, then top with a pinch of dill and serve.
For more gameday recipes: http://www.tailgatemedianetwork.com